A slightly different tact on the "Mod Chip" question

Thor Johnson thormj at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 29 07:50:59 GMT 1999

Unless someone wants to see all of this, I encourage direct email to me as a
way to keep this from polluting the list.

I saw the stuff on the Mod Chip question, but was wondering if this is legal:
You take the Ford/Chevy/Whathaveyou ECMs from junkyards/older clients (offer a
sort of trade-in deal), reprogram the maps & add a few "features", & sell them
back into service as "improved" ECM boxes.

You would never duplicate the code... only modify what they gave you to add
some value for your customers.

An analog to this that we are persuing for non-auto purposes is the placement
of custom code/logos into computer BIOSes, which seems to be the same to me...
but I welcome all opinions on this.

TIA,
Thor Johnson