O2 Sensor Question

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Jan 30 03:25:07 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Franchuk <Brian.Franchuk at drizzle.mm.com>
To: DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Friday, January 29, 1999 10:17 PM
Subject: O2 Sensor Question

I just looked at the LAF O2 sensor web page at
http://www.tech2tech.net/training/laf.htm and I thought of some
questions:
1) What is the detection range of a typical lambda sensor?  I've
   heard the range is very narrow.

The short story is:
The "normal" O2 sensor is more of a switch then anything.  Anything
much above or below 14.7 happens at about .5v..   The extremes
from .5v vary with EGT, and age, so aren't very accurate reliable.

2) Can the detection range be increased?  The web page talks about
   using a voltage to repel the oxygen ions to control the rate that
   the ions reach the diffusion chamber.  If voltage is applied to a
   normal sensor, what will happen?

Not that I've heard of for part one, and probably ruin it by appling voltage
to it.

Is there is good web page or book I can look at for more info.

read the acrhives under EGOR
Cheers
Bruce

Thanks