O2 Sensor Question

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Jan 30 05:11:20 GMT 1999

>I just looked at the LAF O2 sensor web page at
>http://www.tech2tech.net/training/laf.htm and I thought of some
>questions:

This is about a wide range, or UEGO sensor, not a typical one.

>1) What is the detection range of a typical lambda sensor?  I've
>   heard the range is very narrow.

For the typical HEGO, it is indeed very narrow. It basically say oxygen
present or not present. Best to consider it as a digital, or on/off sensor.

>2) Can the detection range be increased?

No.

The web page talks about
>   using a voltage to repel the oxygen ions to control the rate that
>   the ions reach the diffusion chamber.  If voltage is applied to a
>   normal sensor, what will happen?

But this is talking about a wide band, or UEGO sensor.

>Is there is good web page or book I can look at for more info.

An SAE paper # on the UEGO sensors is in the archives.

Regards, Greg