Cubic Dollars

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Jan 30 05:29:26 GMT 1999

>On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:42:20 -0800 Mitch <mitcho at netcom.com> writes:
>>At 12:59 PM 1/28/99 -0700, Greg Hermann wrote:
>>>
>>>OK --this is what I was talking about--does anybody know what you gotta
>do
>>>to "register" a copyright??
>>>
>>>I freely admit to being WAY out of date on this, but it would seem that
>>>they cannot sue you over it if they have not registered it.
>
>They can register it first, then sue you.  It doesn't have to be
>registered at the time of the offence, just at the time of the suit.
>
>If you want to protect something that you wrote, put a copyright notice
>on it and do something that will prove that it was written before such
>and such a date.  Mailing it to yourself is a common method.  When you
>find that your idea has been stolen, register the copyright, then let the
>process server pay him a visit.  On your day in court, take the
>still-sealed letter to court and open it in front of a bunch of
>witnesses.

Absolutely right, Ray--but what I am saying is that with regard to mfgr
ecu's and their source code, the mfgrs would rather DIE than make their
source code public record, so they would have to get their tail twisted
AWFULLY hard before they would register the copyright on it (which requires
putting their source code into public record) just so as to be able to sue
somebody over copying it.

Bottom line is, I am not worried, nor do I think somebody like Hypertech
needs to worry.

Regards, Greg