Cubic Nonsense

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Sat Jan 30 20:20:04 GMT 1999

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Robert Harris wrote:

> So one fine day as the pee-ants are standing around congratulating and
> reassuring themselves that the elephant can't hurt them in a s___ stomping
> contest, the elephant (GM) decides its going to end.
>
> Hello - this is GM air quality PAC.  We are updating our campaign
> contributions Mr ( fill in the blank politician ) and we seem to have
> neglected helping to finance your fine work on the behalf of "concerned"
> americans.  How many zeros would you like in this check?
>
> Shortly afterwards the EPA issues new ruling's that vehicles with modified
> ECU's must be re-certified with the duplicate of the manufacturers original
> test certification at the modifiers/owners expense in a yet to be determined
> government approved facility.  Then that certification is good only for the
> specific make and model and year of the vehicle.  Further, since the emissions
> system has been modified, the modifier takes full responsibility for the
> remainder of the 100,000 mile emissions warranty.   If an end user vehicle
> "fails" any smog test, it will be prima facia declared to be the modified
> whatever"s fault which shall be restored to original manufacturers part prior
> to retest.   Yada Yada Yada ISO 9001 - comply with federal regulation xxx
> submit testing plan 180 days prior to testing for EPA review and approval
> prior to testing - full disclosure of modifications - provide
facilities for
> on site EPA monitoring contiractor
>
> Ad absurdium.   Anyone ever dealing with the government knows that's just the
> beginning.
>
> Vehicles with modified emissions systems not certified as above or failing air
> quality tests will be confiscated without recourse.

I don't think GM will want that passed.  That would mean they also
have to have their modified proms recertified, and I bet they don't go
to that much trouble with a service update.   And they update quite a
few proms to fix things, and I really doubt the go through the entire
EPA process each time.

			Roger