Other uses for the C.E Lamp

DC Smith dcsmith at bytes.net
Sat Jul 3 22:24:47 GMT 1999

DIY_EFI Digest wrote:

> Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 12:16:02 -0400
> From: "David A. Cooley" <n5xmt at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: Other uses for the C.E Lamp
>
> At 05:00 AM 7/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >Some of the buick guys set the check engine light to function as a shift
> >light through the ECM. Quad Air is one of the companies that burn chips
> >this way. Their address can be found at www.gnttype.org on the vendor
> >page. I'm sure they won't give you the code to do it, but at least you
> >know it has been done.
>
> I was on the GN List until about a month ago when I got rid of my last buick...
> Never heard this mentioned and I was very active there.
> There would be no reason to have a shift light on the buicks, as they are
> Automatic Transmission cars... of the few that the owners have converted to
> manuals, they always went slower and got converted back to automatics.
> Red makes a lot of GOOD chips for the buicks, and hokey flashey frills isn't
> one of his products... a shift light for an automatic would probably make Red
> laugh!

 Dave,
 Red does sell a chip that turns on the SES light at whatever RPM you
want. It is used for a manual 2-3 shift with the torque converter
locked, since letting it shift by it's self with the converter locked up
gives sort of a double shift, and slows the car down. He's been offering
this option for over a year.
 I wish I had a copy of it to look at the code patch he used to do it.
Prolly a easy code patch for most of ya'll..
 BTW, Red was one of the guest speakers at the Turbo Regal tech session
at the Nats last week. It was a blast to listen to Red ramble on about
anything and everything about making a Turbo Buick fast.

 BTW.. not really EFI related, but a bit from the pits..  I picked up a
Precision Vigilante 9.5" <lockup> -0- pump stall torque converter at the
nats.. ($1150.00 list) Just slapped my tranny back in the car today
after my 400 run freshening. <grin> Can't wait to hit the drag strip
next friday night.. Kinda hard to tell, but seat-o-the-pants dyno checks
A-ok! It just dusted a 300ZX with ease on the street with the air on, if
that's any indication. It feels good, fo sure.

 Take care.

Dan Smith      84 Regal   12.13 at 112     GSCA# 1459
St.Charles, Missouri
mailto:dcsmith at bytes.net
http://www.tetranet.net/users/morepoweral