Other uses for the C.E Lamp

greg kring joeao at flash.net
Sun Jul 4 06:52:24 GMT 1999

At 05:00 AM 7/3/99 -0400, Greg wrote:

>Some of the buick guys set the check engine light to function as a shift
>light through the ECM. Quad Air is one of the companies that burn chips
>this way. Their address can be found at www.gnttype.org on the vendor
>page. I'm sure they won't give you the code to do it, but at least you
>know it has been done.
 Dave said:

I was on the GN List until about a month ago when I got rid of my last
buick...
Never heard this mentioned and I was very active there.
There would be no reason to have a shift light on the buicks, as they
are
Automatic Transmission cars... of the few that the owners have converted
manuals, they always went slower and got converted back to automatics.
Red makes a lot of GOOD chips for the buicks, and hokey flashey frills
isn't
one of his products... a shift light for an automatic would probably
make Red
laugh!

Greg replies:
Not so Dave, sorry. A quick search of the archives turned this up on the
subject. Didn't go through the whole archives to see what else turns up.
Of course the guy may be lying or confused, but I remember the post
because I thought it was a neat idea at the time. remember us Buick guys
are prone to doing all sorts of cool things with the stock ECMs. No
reason to have a shift light in an auto car? Come on. All the really
fast cars are automatics, you telling me they don't use shift lights or
tachs when they race?
greg