Other uses for the C.E Lamp

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 4 18:09:09 GMT 1999

At 01:55 AM 7/4/99 -0500, greg kring wrote:
>Greg replies:
>Not so Dave, sorry. A quick search of the archives turned this up on the
>subject. Didn't go through the whole archives to see what else turns up.
>Of course the guy may be lying or confused, but I remember the post
>because I thought it was a neat idea at the time. remember us Buick guys
>are prone to doing all sorts of cool things with the stock ECMs. No
>reason to have a shift light in an auto car? Come on. All the really
>fast cars are automatics, you telling me they don't use shift lights or
>tachs when they race?

The only problem I see with a shift light in the GN is the TH200-4R trans
is slow to respond to the manual shifter...  I had a $2500.00 Mike Kurtz
top-of the line racing trans in mine, and in 2, D or OD it would shift by
itself between 5000 and 5100... If I held it in low and popped it in to 2nd
at 5000, it would wait until almost 5600 before it shifted.  Waiting till
5500 and it would hit the rev limiter and bounce off it once or twice
before it shifted.  Mike said the TH200-4R was a great trans, but the
hydraulics were a bit slow even after the mods.
Now a really built GN with a TH400 or a powerglide, it would probably be a
great item, but by the time anyone went to a 'glide or TH400 they were
probably at the power level that the stock ECM was long gone
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!