EEC-IV MAF Conversion Questions

Bob Marrs bmarrs at abpac.com
Sun Jul 4 18:25:52 GMT 1999

Hi Folks,

I'm a newby to the list and was hoping you could please help me with (quite)
a few questions.

Background: I've completed a SD to MAF conversion on a 1986 Ford 2.9L EEC-IV
truck. Included with the swap was a MAF meter from a 5/0L Mustang (55mm vs
the stock 45mm), and 19lb injectors (vs. the 14lb stock, both high
impedance). Now I'm trying to fine tune the air/fuel mixture and solve some
occasional pining (probably sounds familiar to all of you). Here are my
questions (sorry if they are so basic) -

1. Does the EEC-IV system learn in WOT -- that is learn enough to adjust
optimal air/fuel ratios?
2. If you adjust fuel pressure to optimize part throttle, will it adapt
around it? If yes, could you adjust fuel pressure to optimize WOT only, and
then let the computer optimize for the closed loop conditions?
3. For the larger MAF Meter and fuel injectors, can an aftermaket chip (on
the diagnostic port) really tell the computer these have changed and correct
the tables accurately throughout the full range?
4. MAF Calibration: Does changing the output voltage really work fro street
cars? It seems to me that if you just change MAF meter to a larger one, and
optimize the output voltage for idle (by adjuster or new resistance) to
0.8v, that this new MAF meter still may not tell the computer the right
airflow info at high flow rates (due to different slope or characteristic
curves of different sized MAF meters).
5. Why does Ford have two different calibration codes for the same part
number MAF meter (used in two different applications)?
6. How do you correlate O2 readings to air/fuel values?
7. How do you re-adjust the advance curves (I want more at WOT and less at
part throttle acceleration). How do you know how much?
8. How hard is it for the chip programmers to get all this right? (assuming
I give them detailed info)
9. What questions should I ask a chip reprogrammer about what he has done?

Many thanks for your help!
Bob Marrs