DIY_EFI Digest V4 #400

Steve maxboost at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 9 14:21:02 GMT 1999

> Please help me!!!
>
> I wrote alot of complex code (with at least 1 bug in it) which =
> successfully erased the flash in my '94 GM PCM, but did not successfully =
> re-program it with new bits.  Therefore, I have a PCM which is dead. =20
>
> I realize that I can unsolder the flash, reprogram them, and solder (or =
> socket) them back in the PCM. =20
>
> Is there any easier way to get the PCM back to listening to the ALDL???? =
>  I can easily open it up. =20
>
> What do you experts do when they try to reflash a PCM, and you get a =
> glitch, power failure, or some other error code.  I doubt that you throw =
> it away.  How do you recover the PCM???

I was recently trained on the Nissan flash ECM's and was told that if you
screw up the flash process, the ECM is dead.  Reason being that if the first
bit is lost, there is no way for the PC to find the start again.  That's why
it won't re-flash.  My friend who does this in the aftermarket said the same
thing as you about un-soldering the flash and re-flash it off the board.

In regards to what Nissan does if there is a glitch, they throw the ECM away
whole!  No joke, I asked why and they said it wasn't cost effective to try
to repair them.

Steve