DIY_EFI Digest V4 #436

Charles Brooks cbrooks1 at mail.tqci.net
Wed Jul 28 10:47:16 GMT 1999

Hi Dan, I'm nearly certain that the Float will have to be replaced or modified so id doesn't crush under boost. I'm slowly putting parts together for a twin turbocharged small block Chevy (And I'm selling a complete single turbo system for a SBC to finance the TT project, if anyones interested contact me off list) and one gentleman I ran into showed me a float from a 2bbl Holley that was on his Turbo Ford 2.3, the float looked like someone had stuck a straw in it and sucked REALLY hard :)

You do have to reference the regulator off of boost however, if you run more boost than the pump itself can handle...  The home grown turbo projects I've seen have been on V8's and used a mechanical pump that was modified to accept a manifold pressure reference. The Holley Mech. pumps are easily disassembled for the mods. I'm not sure if you could use a high pressure EFI pump with a low pressure regulator or not. If you do, make sure the regulator is a 3 port (Or more) design that has a bypass for fuel to return to the tank. That way the fuel flow will cool the EFI pump, if you use a "Deadhead" regulator with no bypass the pump will probably overheat and be damaged.

I'll take a look at some of my parts books and see if I can find a regulator that looks like it'll work. How much boost are you thinking of running?

Charles Brooks