steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Wed Jun 2 14:48:32 GMT 1999

Geffro wrote:

> Hi folks
> I've been searching the diy--efi website without much luck
> Have read prog 101 but i dont understand any of it
> eg
>
> The PROM has tables and some program code. It maps into processor space
> from 0xd000 to 0xdfff. The ROM appears in the processor space from 0xe000 to
> 0xffff. Data space in the PROM is from 0x000 to 0x616. Code starts at 0x617
> and continues to the end of the PROM, 0xfff.
>
> So to learn this where do i go ?

Well, I hate to say it but read through the archives, searching for
programming 101.  Also read the tuning tips document which describes how
it all works together.  And pay attention to what comes across the gmecm
list.

Also download some of the 747 bins and run them through either promedit
or tuna.  That way you can actually see some of the tables, see how
spark timing varies by load and rpm, etc.

> I have collected a few proms that I'd like to read.
>  So can you good folk
> tell me what I need
> Is a prom reader an emulator and burner?cause i'd like to buy one

A reader/programmer is different from an emulator.  You need a
reader/programmer, the emulator is nice but not necessary.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com