To Todd

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Wed Jun 2 22:48:01 GMT 1999

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:
<snip>
> have a lot of tubing to weld together and panels, firewalls, etc, so
> something more heavy duty was important.  These things are not only
> rated in voltage/current output, but also duty cycle... keep that in
> mind.  If a particular unit can give you 30A at a 30% duty cycle, that
> means you can weld for a minute, then wait three.  Stepping up a size,
> could be rated at 50A at the same duty cycle, which means if you only
> need 30A, you now have a much higher duty cycle.

Apologise(sp!) in advance for the interruption, welder duty cycle is
based on
a ten minute period. 30% gives three minutes of welding to seven minutes
of
cool down time. The real duty cycle is typically a taper, like 20% at
max
output, to 100% at 1/3 of the max output, or something like that.

BobR.

(Who him-self couldn't find out this info for a looonnnggg time...)

<snip>