730 program

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Thu Jun 3 00:24:16 GMT 1999

Mike Pilkenton wrote:

>     I have a 730 ecm variety from a 92 Camaro 3.1L V6.  Does this ECM have
> all the programming and tables located in the EEPROM (MEMCAL) or does it
> contain some of the base program in ROM somewhere else on the PCB?
>
>     I'm curious because I need to get it reprogrammed to remove the EGR, AC,
> AIR, and VATS functions.
>
> Mike Pilkenton

The 730 is all in the eprom. As for the A/C and AIR, no need to change
them. The A/C pressure switch wire will need to be grounded, otherwise
the
cooling fan will run. Without A/C, you don't need the P/S press switch
either, leave the circuit open (closes with high press).

The VATS can be done with an simple external circuit, or as a bit in the
code.

The EGR will need to be changed. The EGR is also used to test the MAP.
So
you might need to disable some of the MAP tests (by err code), to
prevent
map errors.

There's two other things you might need to know:

	when going through the code, it appears that the order of tables in
	memory are the reverse of the layout in the v8 730's.

	after any battery disconnect, this ecm/engine combo needs to go through
	an idle learn session like you won't believe. otherwise it takes about
	two weeks of daily driving for it to finally idle, that is without
stalling,
	lurching, rev-ing up, and otherwise being difficult to drive.

BobR.