Types of differentials/Traction aiding devices

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Jun 3 01:23:14 GMT 1999

>If the stuff inside the Dana 60 came with the Dana in 1970 on the Dodge
>Superbee, what would it be, I can't remember, it's been quite a while...
>
>I DO know that it has clutches in it...
>
>Any ideas?

Trak-Lok if a one piece case and two spider gears, Powr Lok if a two piece
(bolted together) case and four spider gears. (Both spellings are Trade
Mark spellings.)

Trak-Loks are junk waiting to happen,

Powr-Loks are very good, durable, strong units--naturally a fair bit more
expensive that Trak-Loks--and their design is based on the old British
"Thorton" design. Thornton had the patent on the unit's design, then they
got swallowed by Salisbury, who in turn got swallowed by Dana-Spicer.

If you get a clutch replacement kit for a Powr-Lok, it will have an extra
pair of one of the discs in it, which is thicker than the others. If you
re-assemble it with the thicker piar of discs (one on each side) in place
of one of the thinner pairs of discs, you will get a much tighter pre-load
on the unit, and although it will be stiffer in corners, it is also locks
tighter/sooner.

The pre-load on on of these exists because one of the discs is a belleville
spring on each side.  The more torque that is applied to a Powr-Lok unit,
the tighter its clutches are applied.

Regards, Greg