Prowler V6

William T Wilson fluffy at snurgle.org
Thu Jun 3 05:35:47 GMT 1999

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> While I like taking chances and blowing up engines (personal hobby of my
> friends and I), I will state that *I* or *WE* have never successfully
> revved any production V8 engine to 10,000 RPM.

The only V8 engines I ever heard of that went 10,000 RPM were in
single-seat racers.

Honda VTEC engines and Mazda rotaries can rev like mad because that's what
they do.  Instead of displacement, they have RPM.  Mazda rotary has a
stock redline of 8,000 RPM and that is conservative; new S2000 Honda VTEC
has a stock redline of 9,000 RPM.  Neither of these engines is going to be
even slightly upset about going to 10,000 once in a while.

You just can't do that with a big V8, though.  It weighs too much.