SBC V8 into Astro/Safari ?

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Thu Jun 3 15:39:50 GMT 1999

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 wrote:

> I am looking for as much info as possible on the V8 into GM minivan swap
>
> a number of people offered me help before but I cannot find where I saved the
> messages (I have about 400 MB of archived email and it grows 4-5mb / day)
>
> I want to retain stock computer TBI system from 1986 Safari Cargo minivan
>
> I need details on
> 1. mounts, rads, waterpumps, etc for the mechanical installation
> can I use the 4.3 flexplate I have now for the 700 AT
> what headers work ( v8 into S10/15?)

Go to www.jagsthatrun.com and get the "chevy tpi/tbi swapping book".
It's mostly about putting EFI engines into older chevelles and the like,
but there's a chapter on the Astro conversion.  Anything you need in the
way of mechanical information should be there.

> 2. chip changes in the ECU that are required to make it run and be within
> emissions for the 1986 model year

Astros came with 747 ECMs, maybe not in '86 but certainly later.  Get a
V8 747 bin from the ftp site and that should be a good starting point.
Also a 747 ECM if you don't have one.  Mike Knell (JTR guy) says it's
best to buy a complete engine including accessories, ECM, sensors,
harness, etc.  I agree although it's probably more expensive.  That way
you minimize the number of connectors that don't fit, mystery brackets,
etc.

> I should be able to use the stock TBI unit with a new cal
> I seem to remember that I have to change an addr. in the chip to tell the
> ECU it is now running 8 cyl instead of 6
>
> any other details that could be supplied would be great

Read programming 101 and tuning tips, lots of info about the 747 ECM.

> Thanks
> Clive

Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com