metric disapproval

Jennifer and Brock Fraser fraser at forbin.com
Sat Jun 5 04:30:55 GMT 1999

> I don't know enough about thread standards to make an informed
> comment, but consider that here in America a "half-inch" water pipe
> has neither an inner diameter, nor an outer diameter, that is anywhere
> near half of an inch.  Consider that there are drills sized by inch
> fractions, others sized by alphabets, and the two sets overlap in some
> completely illogical way. Consider that tire sizes are specified with
> a width in millimetres, an inner diameter in inches, and an
> aspect-ratio that is dimensionless. Consider that engine displacements
> are specified in CID, and you mill your heads in thousandths of an
> inch, but for some reason combustion chamber volume is measured in
> cubic centimetres!

Hahaha...   This is getting good.  I can go to bed with a smile on my face
now.

It's a bad scene, because I have to work in metric, but my mind still thinks
english... at least dimensionally.  It's hard to make that transition day
after day.  A lot of people at work truly THINK in millimeters, and when you
describe a dimension in inches they have to do a mental conversion - exactly
opposite from what I have to do.  It's an odd situation.

Sorry for the non-EFI content, but I guess that's nothing new to the group.

-Brock