Metric essay

Fredrik Skog c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Sat Jun 5 10:40:18 GMT 1999

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 Regnirps at aol.com wrote:

This is really funny. Since when did you use the definition of things
when you are messuring. If I'm out on a walk I surelly not count the steps
I take..and I can't believe you do either. And the body measurements are
unusable since noone is the same size as another. I guess they were
alright a few hundreds of years ago, but in this modern world they don't
mean a thing as far as precision is concerned.
Being in a machine shop you measure your thumb and start folding a paper
to get the 3/16th of an inch you have to cut the pipe? Give me a break.
You use a ruler, right?

And Fahrenheit....even the americans don't know how
it works. Alot of people I have talked to on the internet don't know the
exact Fahrenheit for boiling water...and I don't blame them...there are
not logic whatsoever in the scale.
As far as precision goes you are allowed to use like 20.5 degrees, is that
too hard?
And about the kilo. You americans use that all the time. In car adds it
says 200k miles and I can buy it for 30k$. So I guess you know what it
means.

You really have to come up with alot better arguments than this.
I do understand that it is very hard to change, and that it is expensive.
But don't start with this human body crap it is just ridiculous.

The metric system is by far the most logic and easy to use system.

Just my opinion

	Student at the Department of Computing Science Umeå University

Fredrik Skog			    E-mail:   c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Taffelstråket 51	   	    WWW:      http://www.acc.umu.se/~skog
903 53 Umeå                         Phone:    +46-(0)90-136365
			            Mobile:   +46-(0)70-3041729