Computerized Heel and Toe

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Sat Jun 5 08:27:49 GMT 1999

At 12:28 AM 6/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Okay, here's what I'm thinking.  (Fluffy's Crackpot Idea #472)
>
>Why not have the fuel computer take care of rev matching for you?
>
>Not important for drag racing, of course, but for those of us that turn
>from time to time, 'heel-and-toe' is one of the more difficult things to
>do, especially considering all the other stuff that has to go on at the
>time.
>
>So why not let the fuel computer do it?  When you shift into a gear, the
>computer takes the vehicle speed, divides by the final drive ratio and the
>transmission ratio, multiplies by some conversion factors, and sets the
>engine RPM to that speed.  Perfect heel and toe, every time.
>
>Sound good?  Or is it just a crutch for those of us with useless feet?

	Hmm...well...I LIKE doing it!  My old Corolla has perfectly spaced pedals
for it, too - although my '72 MGB did not - and after replacing the 4.10:1
rear end with a 3.42:1, I can even do a decent 2-to-1 heel-and-toe
double-clutch downshift these days.  Can a computer do it?  Probably...but
not if I can disable it!

	Aaron Willis
	ICQ #27386985
	AOL IM: hemiyota