Metric essay

.. rap at aci.net
Sat Jun 5 16:49:47 GMT 1999

"C. Brooks" wrote:

> If you've met an American that doesn't know that 212 deg is the bowling
> point of water, it's probably because he was too stupid to get on the right
> plane home! (Good riddance!)

Careful here, according to national statistics, 62% of recent U.S. High School
Graduates do NOT know the boiling point of water in either deg.F or deg.C...
Yeah, I didn't believe it either until I took an unofficial poll. While my
results were much better then the national numbers, they still were appalling.
Thank God my teenage daughter answered the question immediately in both scales;
but, she also added that from what she saw in High School she wasn't surprised
by the statistics...
rap

P.S. Also, and just as surprising, our kids score ALMOST the lowest in geography
of all the industrialized countries; so if they did get on that plane they
probably weren't sure where it was going.