10,000 rpm v8 (how about Pro Stock?)

Bill Edgeworth bedgew at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 7 14:49:53 GMT 1999

Shannen Durphey wrote:

> You're changing what you're saying, methinks.  Production engines
> aside, you're now implying that 10k can't be reached without these
> parts.  Somebody's going to have to tell the little old V-8 guys they
> couldn't get their engines to rev.
>
> I'm not the expert.  I'm just noticing a subtle twist.  I'm thinking
> that there certainly must be engines that hit that rpm without the
> trick parts you mention. Maybe they're not V8s, but given a small
> enough bore and stroke, and small enough valves, and the upper rpm
> limits have to get pretty high.
>
> I wonder what was really available, depending on who you were and who
> your local Chevy dealer was.
> Shannen

No, I am not changing what I am saying. Maybe we are not on the same
wavelength. All that I have been trying to say is that contrary to some
peoples beliefs you could never go down to your Ford, Chevy or Mopar dealer
and drive a production stock vehicle off the lot that would turn 10,000 rpm
(with a V8). Exotics like over head cammed Ferraris yes, but not your typical
push rod V8.
I have seen many V8's go well over 10k however they were heavily modified
usually destroked race engines not a engine made on a production line for
$1000
I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. If such a vehicle existed I would
have bought one!
Then I would not need a broom to sweep the pieces off the road after a fun
drive :)

Bill Edgeworth