Cast ironvs. Steel was Prowler V6

Michael Kasimirsky mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:32:42 GMT 1999

> You have just stated the total opposite of what I believed was true
> about cast iron vs. steel...
>
> You stated:
> "the excess carbon present in cast iron compared to steel, etc."

Yes, I did and it's true.

> Then ya stated that:
> "It's the reason that machine tools are all made from cast iron, not
> steel."

Yes, I did, and yes, they are.  Cast iron is much better at vibration
damping
than steel.

> The BASIC FUNDAMENTAL difference 'tween Cast IRON and STEEL is that
> Steel is merely cast iron with CARBON added to the molten
> Cast Iron....

No, that's not the case at all.  You're thinking cast iron is just
elemental iron, which it isn't.  Steel is iron and carbon (and other
stuff, depending on the steel) with a carbon content below the
eutectic point (I think that's the correct point, but I can't remember
offhand) while cast iron is iron and carbon with a carbon content
above this point.

> You stated the opposite, hopefully it was a type-o or the like?

Nope.

> ALSO Steel is stronger than cast iron, period, I'll use a steel pan
> against a cast iron pan in a fight anytime....

Not necessarily.  It sounds like you're confusing fracture resistance
with strength.

Consult a materials science text if you want the full scoop.  Mine are
at home so I don't have a reference handy, and I don't feel like typing
that
much anyway.

Not to mention it has zero to do with DIY-EFI.

Michael Kasimirsky            1990 Yamaha FZR400 Superbike Racer
Loki Motorsports              1993 Kawasaki ZX1100D1 Streetbike Rider
FASTTRAX & WERA Expert #21  Sponsored by Loki Motorsports & Bridgestone
mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu