fuzzy logic fuel pump - was Re: fuel pump question

Jason Haines jhaines at lingenfelter.com
Tue Jun 8 23:59:34 GMT 1999

Lucus was developing such a system a few years ago - I don't know if it has
gone to production yet. I think the newest Mustang Cobra uses a "smart
pump" that does this as well - a feedback system with a fuel pressure
sensor on the rail. Fuel pump noise, packaging size, higher fuel pressures
and higher horsepower levels are "fueling" 8-) the need for these devices.

Kenne Bell sells an aftermarket system ("Boost-A-Pump") that does a similar
thing through the use of a pressure sensor - when the manifold pressure (or
vacuum for naturally aspirated engines) gets to a certain level, the
voltage to the pump is increased to a set voltage which increases the pumps
flow capability.

Jason