61 Corvette TPI conversion

G. Scott Ponton gscottp at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 10 04:57:15 GMT 1999

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01BEB2D3.A3D45DC0

It seems like I have seen a tach drive HEI at some point but can't =
remember. It's not all that hard to convert the points type though. Pull =
the shaft out of it and change the upper bushing for one in an HEI. They =
are the same size just the HEI is slightly longer to make up for the =
pickup coil height. You may have to modify the pickup coil bracket in =
order to mount it solidly. From what I remember the original points type =
doesn't have a vacumn advance, but could be wrong.
Remove the centrifical advance and points cam from the original shaft. =
Cut the rotor plate away from the points cam and install it to the top =
of the reluctor (tooth part) from the HEI shaft and slide over the shaft =
and mount it solid to the shaft. This assumes you are using a programmed =
timing type computor. Reassemble the shaft to the dissy body. You may =
find you have to add a slight amount of lenth to the shaft in order for =
the tach drive to line up. Also you need to test fit the dissy in your =
block and make sure the oil pump drive has less than .080" end play. To =
reduce the end play add material to the end of the shaft. While you are =
at it make sure the end play for the gear is less than .060" for an =
aluminum dissy or less than .040" for a iron one. MSD makes a cap-a-dap =
unit for the chevy points type that allows the use of a Ford type cap. =
The rotor is adjustable for proper phasing. Just cut a hole by one of =
the terminals of an old cap and make sure with the engine running the =
rotor lines up with the terminal in the cap.
    I have built a couple of these type convertions. If I can be of any =
help let me know.=20
Scott

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01BEB2D3.A3D45DC0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>It seems like I have seen a tach drive HEI at some point but can't=20
remember. It's not all that hard to convert the points type though. Pull =
the=20
shaft out of it and change the upper bushing for one in an HEI. They are =
the=20
same size just the HEI is slightly longer to make up for the pickup coil =
height.=20
You may have to modify the pickup coil bracket in order to mount it =
solidly.=20
>From what I remember the original points type doesn't have a vacumn =
advance, but=20
could be wrong.</DIV>
<DIV>Remove the centrifical advance and points cam from the original =
shaft. Cut=20
the rotor plate away from the points cam and install it to the top of =
the=20
reluctor (tooth part) from the HEI shaft and slide over the shaft and =
mount it=20
solid to the shaft. This assumes you are using a programmed timing type=20
computor. Reassemble the shaft to the dissy body. You may find you have =
to add a=20
slight amount of lenth to the shaft in order for the tach drive to line =
up. Also=20
you need to test fit the dissy in your block and make sure the oil pump =
drive=20
has less than .080&quot; end play. To reduce the end play add material =
to the=20
end of the shaft. While you are at it make sure the end play for the =
gear is=20
less than .060&quot; for an aluminum dissy or less than .040&quot; for a =
iron=20
one. MSD makes a cap-a-dap unit for the chevy points type that allows =
the use of=20
a Ford type cap. The rotor is adjustable for proper phasing. Just cut a =
hole by=20
one of the terminals of an old cap and make sure with the engine running =
the=20
rotor lines up with the terminal in the cap.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT =
color=3D#000000>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT=20
size=3D3>I have built a couple of these type convertions. If I can be of =
any help=20
let me know.</FONT>&nbsp;</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Scott</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01BEB2D3.A3D45DC0--