Info required for chip recalibration

Barry Schwartz bschwart at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 11 14:07:17 GMT 1999

I'm a newcomer to the list, so be gentle :-)
I've completed a TBI swap on my Ford 2.8 V6 with basically a GM truck 2.8
setup.  Howell did the chip re-programming, and supplied the wiring harness
with the engine spec's that I gave them.  I doesn't use electronic spark
control, but the pulse taken from the neg coil wire through some sort of
filter (anybody know just what that would be?).  It does have a heated
oxygen sensor for closed loop operation.  The initial installation was
found to be way, WAY to rich at WOT, and I have leaned it out by adjusting
the fuel pressure regulator on the throttle body as much as it will allow.
WOT is still just a tad rich (some black smoke, slight loss of power but
MUCH better than at first), and I have talked to Howell about reprogramming
the chip for WOT. Cruising and idle seem fine.  I will supply, after some
running tests this weekend, fuel pressure originally, the pressure
currently running, TPS voltage, A/F ratio (with an in the tailpipe
analyzer) and manifold vacuum at cruise, WOT, and at idle.  Is their any
other info that I could (or need) to supply so that I can get the chip
reprogrammed correctly for my engine/vehicle combo?
Also, at cold start, it seams to rev awfully high (2000-2300) for a few
seconds, until the IAC brings it down.  I would like to avoid this (revving
this high cold is not a good thing).  Is there something I can do to
alleviate this?

Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart at pacbell.net

72 FI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)