CA engine change policy

Squash realsquash at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 19:02:52 GMT 1999

--- Mark_Duewel at dca.ca.gov wrote:
> Go to the source:
> www.smogcheck.ca.gov/000008.htm
>
> Though I couldn't find it on the site, the "Engine
> Replacement Policy" (not
> "Engine Change Policy") allows you to build any OEM
> configuration.  I.E.,
> replace a 305 with a 350 when both were offered in
> that year.
>
> -Mark

I'm pretty sure that (in california) you can replace
your engine with any engine that was available in that
vehicle or any engine in the same "family" as the
engine you have.  Thus it is legal to swap in a 502
BBC into a 1994 chevy pickup where a 454 once was,
provided you hook up all existing emmisions stuff.

I don't live anywhere near CA, so don't quote me.
This is based on reading every magazine for the last 5
years.  The only emmisions they know are those in CA.

Andy