efi project/1.7 Omni/VW

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Sat Jun 12 00:46:34 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-06-10 22:32:12 EDT, cwagner at info2000.net writes:
I am going to be making a fuel injection system for a 79 Dodge
Omni with the 1.7 L engine.  The reasoning is that the car is a
commuter car and needs to get good fuel mileage and good
emissions.

<CUT>

>Has anybody have any ideas?  Or should I just use a CIS
>from a VW Rabbit.

Since the Omni 1.7 is a VW rabbit motor, use the VW CIS system.   Much less
work to adapt something that more or less fits than something that was never
intended.

The real danger here is spending more money on the conversion than you will
save in fuel over the remaining life of the car.  Is the carb a Holley/
Webber?  These are quite common on Pintos, Vegas and sometimes found on
aircooled VW engines that have been converted from FI.

1981 to ~ 85 Ford Escorts/ Merc Lynx have a nice small 2bbl Webber.  The
great thing about these is the access to the main air bleeds, emulsion tubes,
main jets and idle jets.  Just remove the air filter stud bracket for access.
 Only down side is that the venturis and carb base are smaller then the
typical Holley /Webber.

Does your car have a mechanical/ vac advance distributor?  First year Omnis
had such a system, the IG box will work only with a hall effect dist.

Harold