CA engine change policy

Eric Schumacher e.schumacher at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 12 00:45:52 GMT 1999

Hi Group
Having done 3 recent engine swaps for my California cars I can attest that
if you follow the "rules" there is no problem with legality.  All three
were inspected by the state of CA and given a clean bill of health
(actually a bill for $30 and a metal plate on the door jam attesting to the
configuration) on the first pass.  In simplest terms move everything
emissions related from the donor car to your ride. Actually you can cheat a
bit, use the old gas tank (if not too old) etc. Note that even seemingly un
related things like transmissions are emissions related.  Once you get your
plate on the door jam things can be a little more flexible, the semi anual
inspections are not so detailed.

Things they don't look at are compression ratios, camshafts, displacement
and things they do look for are chrome air cleaners, blocked off hose
connections, after-market stuff.  Use your imagination and be a little
creative -Smokey Yunick style.
Lotsa Luck Eric
85 GTI with VR6 power