CA engine change policy/502 chev

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Sat Jun 12 00:43:20 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-06-11 18:46:45 EDT, Mark_Duewel at dca.ca.gov writes:

>I can tell you with a degree of confidence that the 502 is not allowed as a
>street-legal "replacement" in California because it was never offered as
>original.  However, if it is indistiquishable externally, you can probably
>get
>away with telling everyone it is an original 454.

Uhm, sort of. The Jim Pace GM Performance parts catalog( paper ) or
www.paceparts.com lists a 502 conversion kit.

" This new emissions legal ( 50 state) Retro-Kit engine conversion kit is
designed for 1991-93 Chevrolet and GMC 10,20,30 series trucks originaly
equiped with a 454 TBI and 4L80E automatic overdrive transmission"

They also list a replacement PROM    PN 12366556

Harold