Archives

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Mon Jun 14 12:10:06 GMT 1999

Geffro wrote:

> Found this in the archives
> <snip>
> Gonna post a list some where of what it takes to actually burn proms.
> All of this is for beginner, just basic stuff.ThanksBruce
> </snip>

> Did this ever happen ?

> Cheers
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> Geoff Richards
> mha at operamail.com
> My learning curve seems to start way over my head
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I don't remember if the basic instructions were ever posted, but the
prom burning part seems pretty basic to me.  I picked out an
inexpensive burner that a couple folks had mentioned, and sent off
some money.  Software came with the burner, one floppy disk, and
copied over directly to the hard drive.  Looking back, I'd tell myself
to get something with more features. They wouldn't really be
necessary, but they'd be nice for working with code and various chips.

After I got the burner and read a few proms, I wanted to change some
stuff.  Well, that required erasing the chips first, which I was
unable to do.  Search for the title "blankety blank" and you'll find
some helpful suggestions about making and buying an eraser.  I bought
mine.

And depending on which ECM you are using, you'll need an adapter to
read the prom that's installed in the memcal.  You can make one from
scratch, or there is a digi-key part no in the archives for a
connector that can be modified to work.

In summary, you'll need an eprom burner, and an eraser, (a computer,
of course), an adapter (ecm dependent) and a prom.  This will start
you down the road to reading and burning proms.  And reading and
burning proms is amazingly easy.  You'll want to read the instructions
that come with your burner, and give yourself some time to get
familiar with the tools.

The questions you should answer first are what ECM am I going to work
with (what car is it in), and what's the final goal.  There's a huge
amount of information that's related to efi.  Without some focus, it's
pretty hard to decide what you need and what you can ignore.  Trust me
on this.

Oh, yeah, there was a mini list of the popular eprom burners posted by
Bruce.  It may be pretty short.  Sorry, I can't remember the subject.
Shannen