Buick V-6, was Prowler V6

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Jun 14 18:22:34 GMT 1999

Todd,

> I was gonna say, I thought ya didn't have to wind a turbo up to get the
> power, as ya do with a NA engine...

Yes and no.  depends on your turbo size, cam duration, and overall
goals.  If you have huge turbos, then you have to rev the engine to
get enough airflow to get boost back into the intake. The buick setup
was this way - we had to rev the hell out of it to get the high boost
we desired, which really doesn't promote reliability.

The 383 stroker deal is different - use the bottom end torque curve
with additional boost, 10lbs max, at lower (<4000) rpms thus
increasing engine longetivity.

> BTW, what cam are ya runnin in your turbo f.i. b.b. Mopar?

Using a 440 motorhome cam.  Least radical cam on the planet,
practically no overlap (110) and it churns around nicely.

> And how much boost did ya say your goal was to attain?

10lbs.  At 4200 RPM, the test motor maxed out the two turbos, which
spun at full speed.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport CT 06606

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HWMMV w/turbocharged 500cid Caddy
1975 Dodge D200 Club Cab soon to have 431 stroker + turbos
2000 (I hope) Buick GTP (Mid-Engined Sports Car)