Will Chevy Mount to GMTH425 Toronado/Eldorado Transaxle?

Brent W bwiscombe at email.msn.com
Tue Jun 15 19:43:00 GMT 1999

I have a question relative to my next project.

I am going to be building a custom car with a mid/rear engine. I am planning
to use the GM TurboHydromatic 425 automatic transmission/transaxle as used
in the 1966-75 Oldsmobile Toronado and the 1967-1980 Cadillac Eldorado.

My question is whether a Chevy small block, or Chevy big block, or a
Cadillac NorthStar engine will bolt up to this transmission bellhousing. I
am also wonder if the Oldsmobile bellhousing is the same bolt pattern as the
Cadillac? Are these two completely interchangeable in all aspects?

Does anyone know if the new Cadillac NorthStar engine has the same mounting
pattern as the older Cadillac GMTH 425 transaxle allowing these two to be
mated together? Or alternatively, will the Cadillac NorthStar engine mount
to the Cadillac transaxle that was used in the 1981-1984 Cadillac Eldorado
that was not the transverse mounted engine arrangement but was the engine in
front of the transaxle with the automatic transmission behind the transaxle?

If you know anything about this subject, please contact me directly
off-list.

I am wanting to build a Chevy big block, or a Chevy small block, or maybe a
Cadillac NorthStar engine to use with the GMTH 425 transaxle if they will
mount correctly.

Thanks to all,
Brent Wiscombe
bwiscombe at msn.com