read engine rpm from battery/alternator???

Alexander Wenning wenning.motorsport at t-online.de
Sat Jun 19 12:56:03 GMT 1999

Recently I´ve seen that Bosch´s latest rolling road reads the engine rpm from
the battery voltage. When connecting my multimeter to the battery I can read
different frequencies at different rpm´s caused by the alternator. This seems to
be easy but when connecting my 20 MHz-oscilloscope to the battery I can only see
a flat line around 14.0 volts.

Does anybody know how I can read the rpm from the battery using a
microcontroller like PIC or Basic Stamp II?

Kind regards

Alex Wenning

e-mail:	mail at wenning.de

website: www.wenning.de