archive update

Steve Ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Sun Jun 20 18:48:50 GMT 1999

I've been pounding WAIS documentation into my head with a 30 lb/13.6 kg
slide hammer (as Bob would say) trying to make the archive search engine
more user friendly.  I've made some progress but have decided that the
WAIS manual is only useful to people who don't need it.  If ANYONE out
there knows ANYTHING about creating format definition (.fmt) files for
WAIS/freeWAIS then PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY.  There is a lot of
potential for this thing to be really neat but I'm up to my a** in
wonderful unix-style slashes, carets, starts, dots, etc.  I guess
Kernigan and the rest of those guys were saving the letters for
something really special?  "No point in using letters as long as there's
another punctuation symbol available."

thanks in advance,

--steve

--