NC crank prep/lightening for a DIY'r?

Ross Corrigan zxv at istar.ca
Sun Jun 20 21:57:13 GMT 1999

>They wanted 200 bucks to knife edge the crank, which is not that
>difficult to do with a dremel.  Slow and steady.

sounds good, I have a dremel and now the air die grinder, haven't boughten
any bits for the die grinder sides the stones that came with it as they
were pricey and I didn't know what I needed yet, maybe their's a kit w/ the
bits I'd need? (Eastwood?)

>I did a little port work on various heads, and that's not to difficult
>either.  balancing a crank with drilling and filling with heavier metals
>is a real talent in my book.

The drilling I was talking about is drilling through the 'four big end
journals' as Vizard says, worth 1.5 lbs and then consequently 1.5 lbs is
removed from the counterweights (by the balancer) so that adds up to a nice
reduction in weight.  The more I read it it sounds like machine shop work
for the drilling.  Correctly done he goes on to say how this can strengthen
the crank.  He talks about ~23hrs of die grinder prep for a crank, that's
the part I could probably enjoy doing myself once the end's are drilled by
a machinist.  Then I'd get the balancing done by a pro obviously.  Any good
before/after pics anywhere for knife edging etc?

Ross Corrigan  /  Vancouver, Canada

 '80 327ZX   IZCC#255, Edmonton Z-car Club #44, British Columbia ZCR
Life's a journey, not a destination.. Enjoy the pitstops and maximize the
straights

mailto:zxv at istar.ca     *New ICQ # 11549358
http://home.iSTAR.ca/~zxv/index.shtml
http://207.212.212.139/~corrigan/gearheads/pics/wheels/sirbg.jpg    where a