NC crank prep/lightening for a DIY'r?

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Sun Jun 20 20:43:38 GMT 1999

The only thing I've done at home on a crank (and I have no real power
tools other than a dremel, drill press, and a sawzall) was to apply a
knife edge to a Buick crank.  Once I had achieved the shape I wanted, I
had it balanced with the rest of the interal assembly, which left the
machine shop to do the remaining work.

They wanted 200 bucks to knife edge the crank, which is not that
difficult to do with a dremel.  Slow and steady.

I did a little port work on various heads, and that's not to difficult
either.  balancing a crank with drilling and filling with heavier metals
is a real talent in my book.