NC crank prep/lightening for a DIY'r?

Ross Corrigan zxv at istar.ca
Sun Jun 20 19:58:51 GMT 1999

I've flogged my other lists for info but time and again I get my best info
from you guys so here's another NC from me but I know the experience is here:

anyone worked on their own crankshaft preps at home, lightening the big
ends/drilling them out, filleting etc?  I've been reading Vizards prepping
your bottom end book and think I'd like to do that on my own if it's
possible, and then just have it balanced/polished at a machine shop. I know
I coudn't pay a machine shop for all that prep etc but reading his book it
sounds like I'd enjoy doing it on my own if it's feasible.  I just got a
diegrinder etc, don't have a drill press etc but not how sure one has to be
with the drilling as far as being as accurate as a drill press if it's
balanced/cleaned up after.  I do know you have to either miss the oil
galleys or 'tube' them out after to reconnect them.   Sounds like a fine
way to take a few pounds off the rotating masses.  Thinking of doing this
w/ a 400 crank for a 383 or a 406 BTW.  Makes it alot easier to internally
balance a 400 crank as well as a few other benefits but I'm sure others are
far more informed than I on this...

all ideer's/info/input always welcome!

This shortblock will be to replace my current OEM '68 327 shortblock that's
been wearing steadily of late and I want to preemtively replace it.  It's
all in my '80 280ZX with a 4spd automatic I daily drive and roadrace at SIR
trackdays and autox , rpm's currently stay under 5000 with old motor but
I'd like a 6000redline on the 'newer' one.  Looking for a very reliable
well mannered torquey motor simple for me to work with.  EFI content, I
have a used holley 4di on my shelf but that install is on the backburner
for now.

PS we moved 3 mos. ago and now I finally have a garage and just wired up my
compressor etc so am looking fwd to being able to do more on my own! No
more waiting for sunny days to do work on the street.

Ross Corrigan  /  Vancouver, Canada

 '80 327ZX   IZCC#255, Edmonton Z-car Club #44, British Columbia ZCR
Life's a journey, not a destination.. Enjoy the pitstops and maximize the
straights

mailto:zxv at istar.ca     *New ICQ # 11549358
http://home.iSTAR.ca/~zxv/index.shtml
http://207.212.212.139/~corrigan/gearheads/pics/wheels/sirbg.jpg    where a