Non-diy_efi, dyno help

brucep at ptd.net brucep at ptd.net
Tue Jun 22 01:17:12 GMT 1999

>Previously, you (David Cooley) wrote:
>> At 12:09 PM 6/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes but eddy currents are not magnetic, they are electric.
>> > Have you ever wondered why transformer cores are made of little plates
>> >rather then a solid chunk of iron?? Read on Mc Duff

 This is not fuel related but it does have a tad of relevance. . .

I bought the eddy current power absorber and various sensors which are
sitting in my shop for a grand total of $50.00. I was unable to get the I/O
cards for the computer to run them though. I would like to set this unit up
using the computer controls, but I am not familiar with what I would need to
do this. I have received alot of help over the past few weeks from another
DIY fuel'er and he was able to tell me what cards were used in the original
unitand alot of other help. These cards have alot more channels than I think
I will need and also cost alot more $$'s than I have to spend so I am
looking for some informed help in the area of data acquisition.

My application for this power absorber (PAU) would be for single cylinder
engines under 60hp. I would like to hookup the load cell, a motor control to
control the PAU, a shaft encoder, latter add an EGT thermocouple, a mass air
flow sensor, and a fuel flow sensor. I would like to make it do all the
logging via a 486 computer. What card would I need for something like this,
how many channels and what type? I figured a program like Labview or Labtech
would work for programing? From what I have seen from my net surfin' these
would work for the novice like myself. I'm open to any and all ideas . . .
feel free to replay via email off the list so as to not add to the band
width problem, thanks for the help.

Bruce

PS: band width is not a problem since I have a 500k fiber optic cable
connection, but I can't figureout data acqusition :)

            There are those that have, and those that will . . .