Archives

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Jun 22 16:40:56 GMT 1999

Geoff Richards wrote:

> Shannen wrote
<snip>
>In summary, you'll need an eprom burner, and an eraser, (a computer,
>of course), an adapter (ecm dependent) and a prom.  This will start
>you down the road to reading and burning proms.  And reading and
>burning proms is amazingly easy.  You'll want to read the instructions
>that come with your burner, and give yourself some time to get
>familiar with the tools.

>Thank you,this is what I wanted to know BUT does the burner required
> depend on which ECM I want to play with ?
> I have seen plenty of burners advertised but have been too scared to
> part with the $ if it's not what I need

If you know what type of Eprom is in your ECM, you can make sure the
burner and software will do the job.  There was an informal survey
done, and IIRC the most popular burner was a Needham's part.  The
title may have been burners, or an extension of programming 101, or
somesuch.  Bruce Plecan was the poster.

> >The questions you should answer first are what ECM am I going to work
> >with (what car is it in), and what's the final goal.
>
> I want to work on a PCM in the Holdens and my goal will be to just tidy
> up (for want of better words) the easier details ,like changing TCC lock-
> up speeds
> Also with the particular Holden I am interested in we experience a cold
> stall hesitation that is overcome by a replacement memcal
> In the future I would like to be able to read the revised memcal and
> modify mine accordingly

Copying proms has (so far) been like copying casette tapes.  Read the
master, erase the destination Eprom, burn the new file into it.  This
is the easiest way to change a calibration, and requires the least
knowledge.  Modifying calibrations takes some skill.  You need to know
what locations in the prom to change, and what values you can change
them to, along with how to use your editing software.  Understanding
the effects of what you're changing goes above and beyond a fifteen
minute excursion.  That's a big hurdle for us wrenching types
(methinks for others, too).

> Anyway that's enough from me
> Thanks once again
> Geoff