Block Strength

Bill Edgeworth bedgew at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 22 17:28:40 GMT 1999

> No, the Hemi block was/is cast from an entirely different set of molds. I
> agree with your view of the 400 block - It is an excellent block especially
> if you can find one out of a vehicle that had the "Trailer pulling Package"
> - this block was a high nickel content block (similar to the Hemi and the
> marine castings), very strong...
> rap

This is true the new blocks are also "improved" over the original design. The
hemi also had a different motor mount flange than the b/rb.
I'm not sure but I think the new mopar performance blocks all have siamesed
bores and extra material and webbing added in high stress areas. I think this
is even true of the 426 replacement block they now manufacture.

All in all the hemi and b/rb engines are an excellent choice for use in
supercharged applications (issue of another string) this is due to the crank
being recessed into the block.
Back when people tried to use the Boss 429 hemi in fuelers (which had a
excellent head design)
the bottom ends just were not strong enough and they spit the entire bottom end
out of the engine.(prior to the avalability of after market t/f blocks)

Bill Edgeworth