EFI for Propane

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Wed Mar 3 04:30:10 GMT 1999

I was just at the SAE Exposition in Detroit (where else?)  There was an LPG
injection system on display.  The system was just like a non-return EFI
system, right down to the submerged fuel pump in the tank.  The injectors
were mounted in the port and were fed from a fuel rail.  The hoses were high
pressure, though.  The injectors were white and very large in diameter (the
coil part).

The engine was a Ford 5.4 Triton V8.  Next to the injectors was another
gismo that looked just like a really long injector but there was no fuel
line.  After scratching my head for a while and noticing a potted circuit
board in the top, I realized that this thing covered a spark plug.  It
appears to be an integral coil that clips right to the plug.  There is a 2
conductor connector for each one.

On another note, there was also a company, Adrenaline Research, selling a
combination plasma ignition and ion sensor.
http://www.adrenalineresearch.com/smartfire.htm

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>