UEGO bias (Heater requirements)

Ezra Hall ehall at together.net
Wed Mar 3 04:30:29 GMT 1999

Bob,
 Thanks for the info. I am interested in the schematics you have, any chance
you could scan them? Or fax them? I am particularly interested in any
information on protection of the pumping cell until proper temp has been
obtained, or any other conditions that might be using to determine when it
is safe to enable the feedback loop. The patents I have looked at do not
provide enough details, and I don't want to "blacken" my sensor...

 I made some measurements tonight on my UEGO sensor to determine the Thermal
Coef of resistivity for the heating element. I did this by measuring its
resistance at room temp, then at ~200DegC (heated the unit for 30minutes in
the oven). I fashioned a 10mA current source (calibrated to +-2%), and used
this to apply current to the heating element to more accurately measure
resistance. To measure temp, I placed a thermocouple in one of the holes on
the sensor tip, and wrapped the assembly tightly in Al foil. Here are the
measurements at various temps as it heated up. The last measurement was
after approx. 30 minutes in the oven.
Temp (C)     R (ohms)     Coef (Ohm/C)
25                 3.02             NA
165               4.39             0.0098
209               4.89             0.0102
220               4.95             0.0099
221               5.06             0.0104

I will use 0.01 Ohm/Deg C for simplicity, any idea what metal is used?

I then sampled heater current vs. time (2Hz sample rate) while applying 5
volts then 10 volts to the heater. Here are a few data points for reference:

Time        Amps    Volts   Ohms  Deg C
    0.00     1.23    4.90    3.98  121.37
   10.00    1.06    4.90    4.62  185.26
   20.00    1.01    4.90    4.85  208.15
   30.00    0.97    4.90    5.05  228.15
   40.00    0.94    4.90    5.21  244.28
   50.00    0.94    4.90    5.21  244.28
   60.00    0.93    4.90    5.27  249.88
   70.00    1.64    9.70    5.91  314.46
   80.00    1.40    9.70    6.93  415.86
   90.00    1.33    9.70    7.29  452.32
  100.00   1.29    9.70    7.52  474.94
  110.00   1.27    9.70    7.64  486.78

 Sitting in free air, this thing obviously is not going to reach 650 Deg C
with 9.7 volts to the heater in any reasonable amount of time. That would
explain all the patents on controlling the temp of these sensors by using
resistance as the feedback parameter of a simple control system...

I will CC the diy-efi list in case anyone else is interested in this info.
Steve Gorkowski sent me some pictures of current vs. time for his sensor, so
I know he will be interested. Let me know if you can send me any additional
info from the NTK documents.

Thanks,
 Ezra