Am I in the right place?

Heinz Wittenbecher heinz at bytedesigns.com
Wed Mar 3 16:47:23 GMT 1999

Apologies if I'm not.
It wasn't quite clear in the Charter on whether DIY means only DIYers that
build from scratch or whether perhaps it includes folks like myself that
converted his GMC motorhome's 455 Olds to ported fuel injection that's using
the Accel ECU. I recently added an engine monitor with individual egt's etc
and will be adding theAccel VIC unit in the next few days. Obviously I'm a
newbie to efi and really just an amateur technician that enjoys his GMC.

It's a learn by doing program and every once in a while I'm stuck and find
myself looking for help. I.e. setting up the EFI in general (using Accel's
Calmap software in realtime), not so much for dragstrip performance but
maximun reliability with reasonal fuel economy and performance. The engine
monitor has a datalogging function and I expect to be using Excel or some
other program to monitor the engine over time to hopefully pre-empt
breakdowns without wasting time left on engine.

If I'm in the wrong place, my apologies in advance and if so I'll scoot outa
here. If I am in the right place  I'd like to ask whether any information is
available for the proper mixture setting using EGT's. I did search the
archives but was not able to draw any conclusion. In my airplane days we
used to go peak and then enrichen 50-75 degrees. Would the same apply or can
each cylinder be run closer to peak? With the VIC I expect to be able to
adjust each injector so that no compromised setting has to be used.

TIA - Heinz
'76 GMC Classic MH
www.bytedesigns.com/gmc