Handheld O-Scope

goflo at pacbell.net goflo at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 5 17:05:38 GMT 1999

Any scope is better than no scope, but the rule of thumb
is that the scope BW oughta be 5X the signal of interest.

The scope will lie to you about the waveform otherwise.
Slow scopes won't show you hi-frequency noise/ringing/
oscillation riding your signal levels, for instance.
Frequently an issue, especially on breadboards.

There are lots of 100 Mhz Teks out there surplus,
typically $300-500. These can be very good value for money.
Don't buy an analog storage scope. (Unless you want one).
Different animal.

I've been using a 50 Mhz Tek 556 for years, a genuine
dinosaur :) It's an awesome piece, but I keep thinking
about those 30-year-old electrolytics ...

Regards, Jack

Daniel Houlton wrote:

> Bruce Plecan wrote:
> > Just saw an ad for one in MCM flyer
> > Handheld O-Scope 5 Hz    $199
> > (800) 543-4330

> How much use is this?  I don't know much about them other than the higher
> the frequency, the higher the cost.  What's the minimum we should be looking
> for to do EFI type stuff or just general circuit building?  Is this one
> good enough to be useful or will it rapidly show it's limitations?  I've
> seen 20, 30, 60 and up to 100 Hz scopes.  How much is really needed?

Hi Dan.