Which Intake

DC Smith dcsmith at bytes.net
Tue Mar 9 04:24:17 GMT 1999

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 wrote:

> > >  Don't you want less throttle response when you let up? (sorry, Fred..
> > > couldn't help it on that one) Vacuum is good. <grin>
> >
> > That's okay, its a reminder to either slow down the brain or
> > speed up the carpul tunnel'd fingers.
>
> Fred was right
> throttle respone is the ability of the engine
> to react to driver input to the throttle
>
> this can be either opening or closing.

 This is true, you can have a closing throttle response. It can be fast,
but mainly due to lower rotating mass in the engine. The fuel is cut by
the computer, no matter how you plumb the turbo. (Decel Enleanment)

 I also look for a little engine braking, and too fast of a response can
break the rear tires loose.

 The 84/5 non-intercooled Buicks have a dual diaphragm wastegate
actuator, that has the other side hooked to the TB vac port. When the
throttle is let up, the wastegate opens instantly, thus dumping boost
now.

 As far as oil consumption.. The 84/5 setup didn't dump any more oil
into the intake than this 86/7 GN setup does. Assuming you have a good
turbo to start with.

 I can tell you this.. that non-intercooled setup was the knockinist
(new word!) SOB on the planet, on a warm day, under moderate boost
conditions and on pump premium.  I like this intercooled setup MUCH
better. Even with the horrendous compressor noise on quick decel.

 Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis opens March 20th. Be there!
(1/4 mile) I plan on running high 11's at least. :)

Dan Smith      84 Regal   12.13 at 112     GSCA# 1459
St.Charles, Missouri
mailto:dcsmith at bytes.net
http://www.tetranet.net/users/morepoweral