throttle before or after turbo

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Tue Mar 9 05:12:28 GMT 1999

Hi,

I should be so lucky and you are tempting fate.  Actually the 900 series
Turbo (1986) didn't have water cooling on the Turbo Bearing so a quick
non-idle shutdown tended to carbonize the oil creating those nasty
granules that are extremely abrasive.   What did in our Turbine was the
PCV valve and a turbine that was already noisy.  It failed open during
mountain passage.  High levels of boost caused positive pressure on the
crankcase forcing oil out the filler cap and assorted other seals.
Normally the PCV valve prevents this by allowing low manifold pressure
to suck out the blowby and other crankcase vapours but the valve,  is
supposed to close when there is boost.

There wasn't a turbine bearing left after that.  Lots of blue smoke,
limping home the rest of the 250Km.  New turbine and head gasket.  Runs
like a top but now we do make sure we idle down too.  And,  the PCV
valve ($45Cdn) is new and will be replaced in 100,000Km (that's the
325,000Km mark.).

That's my SAAB story.  (Slow And Always Broken.)

John