Dangerous injection ideas...

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 02:37:25 GMT 1999

OK - now I'm dangerous.
 Just ordered a linear actuator stepper motor from C&H surplus.  Also
got an acetylene regulator and a shaft encoder.

 I'm thinking about building some sort of DIY-EFI propane system.  Am
planning on using the linear stepper motor to replace the pressure
adjustment of the acet. regulator to dispense propane into the test
engine.  I think I can get away with using an acetylene regulator with
propane.  Anyone think otherwise?  I know the pressures are similar and
I also think that chemically they call for the same/similar type of
hosing too.  But I may be wrong.

 If I stay with propane I'll probably start out with using the riding
lawn mower as proof of concept.  Then I'll think about converting it to
gas (or maybe not) and putting it on in lieu of the shagged Q-jet on the
350.

 So if Holley can build a system which computes (via lookup table) an
injection volume as a function of engine rpm and TPS - well I bet I can
too.

 I'm thinking about using one PIC processor to manage this stepper
motor, and another to read rpm/tps, do the table stuff and feed the
final "fuel amt" to the 1st PIC.  A serial EEPROM device will contain
the output mapping. You can get single eeprom parts, 8 pin ICs with up
to 32Kbytes of memory.  Thats one heck of a lookup table.

 TBD is how/if I'll arrange for the hacking/massaging of this table.
Comments anyone?

 I've seen comments about the Holley TBI heads.  You can buy this unit
as a replacement part for about $289 or so.  There is also a similar
unit w/o an AIV motor (air stepper).  Anyone know if I can get the
proper wiring connectors to fit one of these TBIs?

 I'm also wondering if I should go with some sort of MAP sensor instead
of the tps, and just use tps for accel pump stuff...

 Anyone have any clues as to some minimum resolution of these lookup
tables?  I know that the GM ECUs use a megar table, something like 4x4
or so.  Anyone also know a minimum precision of the output of this table
- ie 8 or 16 bits?  Thanks and wish me luck!

Comments invited.
-Bill