Electric water pumps (was) alt charging cont sw

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Fri Mar 12 19:59:43 GMT 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 ScottyCBoy at aol.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:49:54 EST
> From: ScottyCBoy at aol.com
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Electric water pumps (was) alt charging cont sw
>
> In a message dated 03/12/1999 10:07:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> clive at problem.tantech.com writes:

snip

> << > >
> I have pondered the us of electric water pumps and I believe that they would
> be beneficial in many ways:
>
> First no thermostat would be needed, when the engine get's to operating temp
> the pump would turn on..

the water pump helps the engine warm up evenly ( the coolant flow through
the bypass)

> Second the pump can run at varying speeds, while light cruising the pump speed
> would be slower than at full steam, saving fuel..

that would be nice

> Thrid the engine could theoretically warm up quicker as there would be no leak
> past a closed thermostat and coolant wouldn't be circulating through a cold
> engine...

I think you could run into problems here, the heads are the hotest area,
the bottom end would stay too cold then get a thermal shock when hit by
the warm water

> Fourth reverse flow coolant systems could be retorfitted easily just by
> reversing the current to the pump, no special reverse flow pump impellers
> would be needed...

that would depend on the pump

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8