Real HP loss numbers

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Mar 12 23:30:51 GMT 1999

Ok, I'm working to understand this.  The chassis dyno has no brake, so
they measure the change in acceleration of the drums to compute
power.  This means that anything that changes the rate of acceleration
of the wheels changes the rate of acceleration of the drums, and the
calculated horsepower.  This also means that without acceleration, the
chassis dyno cannot measure horsepower, hence no steady rpm
measurements can be taken and no tuning done at any given rpm, yes?

This would also mean that claims like "lighter pulley adds 5 hp" are
mrginally correct based on chassis dyno measurements, but technically
should say something like "lighter pulley increases acceleration
equivalent to adding 5 more hp", since at any given rpm the hp level
is ~constant, regardless of the mass of the rotating components.
Yes?
I only ask because I can see no other way that claims for replacing
rotating components with lighter ones can add power.  But I sure can
see that they'll change the rate of acceleration.

Shannen